Sunday, January 22, 2012

Happy Chinese New Year to Everyone!

I woke up a few hours ago and I nearly forgot that it's Chinese New Year today. ;-) Anyway, Happy Chinese New Year 2012 to everyone! I do hope you are all having a grand time.

You may probably hear others saying, "Kung Hei Fat Choi!" instead of "Happy Chinese New Year!" 

What does that mean? Well, I've asked my Chinese friends. And here's what I've learned.

"Kung Hei Fat Choi," in Chinese, means "May Prosperity Be With You!" You may also choose to say "Gong Xi Fa Cai!" since these words also mean the same thing.

To say Happy New Year, other expressions you can use may include "Sun Nean Fai Lok!" or "Xin Nain Kuai Le!"

Now, I'm still a bit dizzy. So, you may have to excuse me for nearly forgetting this special event when I woke up this morning. Sometimes, when you're physically bruised, and the pain can be so severe (especially at night when you're trying so hard to get some shut-eye), waking up in a dazed fashion can be an automatic response. lol!

So, what's there to do? What's in store?

A couple of my (Chinese and non-Chinese) friends shared what they are going to do today.

Here are some of their activities:

One: Have a personal reading for 10 to 30 minutes for a $1. Why? It beats not being prepared for those good things to happen. While I'm kinda skeptical when it comes to these things, I have to admit, I am also highly intrigued. Nevertheless, with my present physically-bruised condition (from a recent fall), I may have to pass. My friends, though, would really make a go for this since they say there's no harm in learning a good thing or two. 

Two: Double your chances of earning more. Now, there are so many opportunities online regarding this one, and a friend of mine has stumbled upon a certain one that she is thrilled to try out for now. While I'm solely sticking to writing and editing as a means of earning, I may have to research on that site she's practically raving about where she gets some cash unclaimed for free.

Three: Get yourself prepared for other thrilling activities like watching the dragon dance, buying Chinese delicacies like tikoy, and others. 

Here is a sample video on youtube for the dragon dance:


Video taken at my birthplace, Thailand 


Four: Other Chinese New Year traditions may also include keeping one's surroundings neat and clean. Clean your surroundings for good luck and prosperity. Now, for this one, I would highly go for this... not merely because good tidings would come but because it's simply nicer to have a clean and orderly surrounding. Besides, it helps me concentrate on other tasks instead of always getting distracted by the mess around me.

Five: Just enjoy the day with your loved ones! Revel in the presence of loved ones. Dine together. Forgive those who may have hurt you. And simply enjoy the festivities.

I'll see you next post. Once again, I'm wishing everyone a Happy Chinese New Year 2012! ;-)

No comments:

Creative Commons License
The Musings of a Hopeful Pecunious Wordsmith by SittieCates is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.